Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2015

From the News: Kansas City Zoo gives up palm oil to save orangutans


I die a little every time I go to the grocery store.  Living on a zookeeper salary, I try to do my shopping on the cheap side, but I do have a sweet tooth that I am totally owned by.  No fancy, expensive desserts for me, but a box of donuts or a carton of ice cream to get me through the week is essential for my mental (if not physical) well-being. Unfortunately, almost all of the inexpensive options contain palm oil.  My love for wildlife and my love for cheap pastries are thrown into sharp conflict.  Depending on how rough the week has been, wildlife doesn't always win.

So kudos to Kansas City Zoo for doing what I don't have the strength to do - make a break from palm oil.  Hopefully, more zoos, aquariums, museums, and other wildlife facilities will follow in their footsteps.  After all, there are substitutes we can use for palm oil.  There is no substitute for an orangutan.

Orangutans at the Kansas City Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment