Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

From the News: Socorro Dove Returns to Mexico for First Time in Over 40 Years



I think it would be safe to say that if you interviewed 1000 zoo visitors, probably not a single one would have heard of the Socorro dove or know of its story.  As we saw a while back with the case of the Bermuda skinks, sometimes it is the least known, most obscure species that are in the gravest need of help.  When most people think of zoos, they think of elephants, bears, big cats, and primates.  Ofttimes, however, the most important work in the zoo is done with these little known species.

Every time I hear someone say that all zoos should be closed, I'm tempted to say, "Fine.  Have it your way.  I guess you're also fine with a world where the Arabian oryx, red wolf, California condor, and a bunch of other species have all gone extinct."  No one's ever given me that good of a reply to that.

I guess now we can add the Socorro dove to that list.  Congratulations to all parties involved in helping to pull this bird back a little bit further from the brink of extinction.




No comments:

Post a Comment